Sunday, September 13, 2009

A whole new world, a dazzling place I never knew....

Welp, woo, I'm livin' in Firenze now, for the next 8 months:D I've moved in with two really nice girls, and we have a sweet apt here about a 10 minute walk from the Duomo! So far we've discovered that my Italian is worse then I ever thought possible and that fig gelatos are the best thing ever. Other minor cultural differences include toilets that are designed to make poo-smears as long as possible and killer mosquitos that attack you in the night. But the light here is amazing and so are the people. There's a cool piazza where everyone hangs out and drinks outside every night (drinking outside is legal, while things like "creating dirt," washing yourself in public and swinging on children's swing sets are not). I've already gone out and done a couple plein air paintings with the homemade painting box that I constructed out of foam core the day I arrived (I'll post 'em soon;) and we're planning on taking a trip to the coast one weekend soon, so it'll be neat to see more of Italy:)






















my "bedroom" (yes, the walls are constructed out of sheets)























our kitchen






















our Ikea livingroom

















drinking in the piazza

















view of the Duomo at dusk

















pretty pretty pretty (Duomo)






















the doors that started the Renaissance (and random people that I don't know who actually are posed quite nicely for this pic;)

6 comments:

We Blog Artists said...

Ahora scribo en Italiano perche poi potevi practicare il tuo Italiano.
Sono felice che ai arrivata bene e sai ja facendo tante cose buono en el posto pui bella del Mundo!
Bien Venuto!
Fig ice cream...YUM!
Can't wait to see paintings from that dreamy land!
Have fun! You'll be treated like a Princess by every Italian Man you meet...and like a daughter by every elderly Mamma...Italy is fabulous!
Hugs.
Char.x

Mitchel Kennedy said...

Oh man! I had a few opportunities to go to Italy through Sheridan, but I could never afford it. A large hidden piece of me still needs to go there.

ENJOY EVERY BIT OF IT!! I know your paint will make the very most of the beauty.

Vanwall said...

Lovely, tho rather Spartan, accommodations - it looks beautiful there, and sounds very An American In Firenze. Or maybe The American Girl in Rome...ish. Have a wonderful - and productive - time, new young Florentine. Pescara, on the eastern coast, is lovely I've heard. Eat, drink and be merry!

Jessica said...

Beautiful! Looks like you are having an amazing time!!! XOX

Kt Shy said...

Aaaawesome! That church in the 2nd-to-last picture has the BEST gelato place nearby, I can't remember the name of it though... argh, it's in one of the little off-shooting streets. Your paintings are gorgeous, have fun in that beautiful city!

Unknown said...

"drinking in the piazza"... Well Kristy, it looks as though you should've asked a passer-by to take the photo - grim or what..!!
Hi, it's Tony here in Tenerife... The weather's lovely here today Dec 8.. a scorcher... I did'nt know we had an artist in the family..I think you may take after your Mum..!
I'll send this link to your site to Selina... she'll be very interested no doubt.. Ciao, your second cousin, Tony